Small Group: Crypts, Bones & Catacombs - Underground Tour of Rome
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
A fantastic small group tour of the the best-preserved catacomb in Rome
Rome is a city that has built and rebuilt upon itself for thousands of years. This incredible tour takes you deep into the layers of Roman history, to uncover the spell-binding story of the city through the ages. Explore the underground cemeteries and temples that once housed many of the city’s dead and its most mysterious cult, a guaranteed thrill for adults and children alike.
Our guide to Small Group: Crypts, Bones & Catacombs - Underground Tour of Rome
The tour starts in one of the city’s most interesting catacombs. The catacomb contains miles of creepy tunnels and the world’s oldest collection of bones. Your expert guide, hand-picked for knowledge of the catacombs, will lead your small group of 18 people or fewer through these wonderfully historic and atmospheric tunnels, while telling you the story of early Christianity. Large groups simply can’t fit into these areas, so take advantage of this truly unique access.
Head to one of the most singular and spine-tingling sights in Rome, the Capuchin bone crypt. The cemetery festooned with the bones and remains of some 4,000 Capuchin friars is a jaw-dropping display of life and death. Although it might appear macabre, you’ll learn why the monks actually consider the display life-affirming.
Before your final stop off for the day, drive the Appian Way and hop out to enjoy a short walk to see the Tomb of Cecilia Metella. Along Via Appia, your expert guide will explain the historical significance of the fascinating area. To finish out the day in style visit perhaps one of the most spectacular sites in all of Rome - the Roman Aqueducts, where you will be given time to enjoy and understand this monumental landmark from a stunning vantage point.
With comfortable, air-conditioned transport throughout, and a small group of 16 people or fewer, your only responsibility is to immerse yourself in the thrills and wonder of Rome. Expert guides have been hand-picked for this experience based on both their knowledge and love of history. They make the perfect escorts through our eeriest and most mysterious tour.
Varies, please see calendar.
Around 3 hours 30 minutes
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Small Group: Crypts, Bones & Catacombs - Underground Tour of Rome
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- Itinerary subject to change without change.
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
- This tour has a maximum capacity of 18 guests.
- Sites on this itinerary include holy places, and attire must be appropriate for the visit. Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees. Walks of Italy cannot be held responsible for denied entry due to improper dress. It is sufficient to bring extra coverings with you and put them on before our entrance to the holy areas.
- Photography is not allowed in the sites visited on this tour, due to their religious nature.
- Tours depart precisely at the scheduled tour start time. If you show up late or cannot find the meeting point, for any reason, refund requests are not honoured per policy. For most tours, it is not logistically possible to join the group after it has started.
- Cancellation Policy: A full refund will be given on cancellations made more than 72 hours prior to tour commencement. Cancellations received within 72 hours prior to the tour are non-refundable. We will, however, do our best to reschedule you for another tour. Please note, this is subject to availability and price changes.
Frequently Asked Questions for Small Group: Crypts, Bones & Catacombs - Underground Tour of Rome
Is this tour ok if I am claustrophobic?
The Roman Catacombs are composed of narrow passagways that run deep underground. These can definitely cause problems for people who suffer from claustrophobia.
Is there a dress code on this tour?
No. However, the Capuchin Crypt is a holy place so attire must be appropriate for the visit. Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees. We cannot be held responsible for denied entry due to improper dress. It is sufficient to bring extra coverings with you and put them on before our entrance to the holy areas.