VIP Colosseum at Night with Underground & Arena Floor
- Pay in instalments
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Step inside the Colosseum after it closes and enjoy it with only a handful of other people on this very special tour. Special access means you'll have a chance to explore the Colosseum Underground, where men and beasts were kept before they took to the Colosseum floor. You'll experience this vantage point too, when you walk onto the arena floor to see the amphitheatre lit up and looming above you.
Our guide to VIP Colosseum at Night with Underground & Arena Floor
The popularity of the Colosseum means it's often crowded, and during the summer it's always hot. On this special Colosseum at night tour you avoid both the masses and the sun to experience the world's most famous ruin in peace and comfort, lit up beautifully, with a small group of only 24 people. It's sightseeing with minimum stress and maximum awe.
As the sun sets over Rome, you'll meet your small group and expert guide near the old Jewish Ghetto by the Teatro di Marcello. This ancient theatre is even older than the Colosseum and looks like a miniature version of it, making it the perfect sight to whet your appetite for what's to come.
Arriving at the Colosseum, as the crowds empty out, you'll head inside for a uniquely intimate experience. Descend into the Colosseum Underground, or 'Hypogeum', to see the cells where animals and gladiators awaited their turns to kill or be killed. The underground can only be visited on pre-booked tours with a very limited number of tickets per day, so this is a rare opportunity!
Next you'll head back up to the arena floor; another special access area where guards will open the gates just for you. Here, you'll be walking in the footsteps of gladiators who, nearly 2,000 years ago, fought for glory (and their lives) on a floor just like this one. Not only is this the most atmospheric spot in the Colosseum, it's the best vantage point too, so take your time to soak it up.
To sweeten the deal, your guide will give you a full introduction to life in Ancient Rome before you enter the Colosseum. From a special vantage point overlooking the Roman Forum, you'll learn how Ancient Rome functioned, who its leaders were and why it eventually fell. Your guide for this tour will be a local expert on Roman history and architecture who will tell you fascinating stories about the glory and decadence of the Roman Empire. Meanwhile, small groups of 19 people or fewer will retain the intimacy of the evening and make it easier to hear and interact with your guide.
With the added context and incredible peace of your visit, you'll get so much more from this once-in-a-lifetime visit.
Sites Visited: Colosseum (exterior and interior), Colosseum Underground Level, Colosseum Arena Floor, Roman Forum overlook, Capitoline Hill (Piazza del Campidoglio), Via Dei Fori Imperiali Teatro di Marcello (exterior)
Please meet your guide at Via del Teatro di Marcello, 42, (Antico Caffè del Teatro di Marcello), Rome, 00186, IT
Varies, please see calendar.
Around 3 hours
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for VIP Colosseum at Night with Underground & Arena Floor
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- Itinerary subject to change without notice.
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- All guests (including children) must bring ID on the day of their tour.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off is NOT included.
- Unfortunately this tour is unable to accommodate guests with mobility impairments, wheelchairs or strollers.
- Please note: There is a new rule at the Colosseum that only small backpacks and regular-size handbags are allowed inside. Guests with larger bags will not be allowed to enter (there are no storage facilities) and all guests must now pass through a security check before entering the Colosseum.
- The Colosseum has changed its admission policy to ensure that only 3,000 people are allowed within the amphitheater at any given time, meaning much less crowding during busy periods. Although our tickets are pre-booked with Skip the Line access, this may mean a slight delay on entering if capacity has already been reached. We expect that the instances of this will be limited but ask for your patience if you travel on a busy day and are affected by this unavoidable circumstance. In all, it should make for a much nicer experience for all (and longer general access lines!).
- The Colosseum is subject to occasional closures. The Colosseum administration is usually aware of this and informs us the day before or of a given closure. Please provide us with detailed contact information in the event that we need to reach you to reschedule your tour.
- Heavy rain can compromise the underground area of the Colosseum. On such occasions, the underground may close without notice.
- Cancellation policy: Cancellations received greater than 72 hours prior to tour commencement are fully refundable. Cancellations received within 72 hours of tour commencement are non-refundable. Amendment requests are subject to availability and price changes.