Exclusive Alone In St. Mark's Basilica And Doge's Palace Tour
- Free cancellations*
- Pay in instalments
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
See Venice's two most famous landmarks in the best possible way. Get privileged access and explore the Doge's Palace, the armory, and the prisons in the late afternoon when it is the least crowded. After a short break, continue to St. Mark's Basilica where a basilica guard will unlock the doors. Experience one of the world’s most magnificent churches and see it like almost no one else... alone with a small group.
Our guide to Exclusive Alone In St. Mark's Basilica And Doge's Palace Tour
You can’t go to Venice without visiting St. Mark’s Basilica and the Doge's Palace, the city’s two top sites. So why not make the experience as enjoyable, educational, and easy as possible? Give us a few hours of your time, and we promise you’ll feel like you didn’t just “do” these sites—you experienced them in the most rewarding, fascinating way possible. You will not only enjoy privileged access to the Doge’s Palace, minimizing your time in line, but you will get private access to St.Mark's Basilica after hours.
Start with a guided tour of the Doge's Palace. What the Vatican is to Rome, the Doge's Palace is to Venice: for seven hundred years, the remarkable palace has been the home of not only the Doge, but of Venice’s (independent!) government, courts, and even prisons.
Visit the centre of Venice’s power and history at Palazzo Ducale, including the sumptuous Doge’s apartments and the Hall of the Great Council, with its stunning frescoes by Veronese and Tintoretto. Discover the secret stories behind the artworks, like why one doge in the painted series is covered by a black veil. Learn the history of Venice’s famed Dukes - how they were chosen, what they did and why you may not have wanted the position for yourself.
On this guided tour you’ll have the opportunity to explore the massive armory, and the spooky prisons. Finish with a visit inside the Bridge of Sighs, where your guide will tell you why it’s not quite as romantic as you thought.
After a short break you will continue to St. Mark's Basilica (already closed to the public for the day) where a custodian unlocks the Basilica’s doors for you, walking you inside Venice’s most important site - EMPTY!
Inside, take a deep breath. You’re experiencing St. Mark’s Basilica as almost nobody else does, or ever has ever been able to aside from the Doge himself. You’ll experience the basilica as it should be experienced: in tranquility and peace.
You will also get to see the Pala d’Oro, the spectacular, Byzantine altarpiece that uses more than 1,900 gems! During the day, there’s a line to see this, but now? You have it all to yourself.
Since you’re alone in the basilica, you can even go where others visiting during the day, can’t. Like the crypt, which the custodian unlocks for you: This is where the bones of St. Mark are said to actually be kept. Plus, you can see the stained walls here from the past floods that have devastated Venice—the crypt used to be flooded every time the high tide hit the city!
Aside from the emptiness of the basilica, nighttime is the best time to visit because that’s when the mosaics are at their most beautiful. All 43,000 square feet are lit up, glimmering and sparkling in the dark!
If just seeing the basilica this way weren’t entrancing enough, there’s also your guide, an expert who’s passionate about Venetian art and history—and about sharing it with you in the most fun way possible. You’ll hear the swashbuckling tale of how St. Mark’s became St. Mark’s… a story that pivots on a kidnapping and and a dangerous sea voyage! You’ll learn where the precious marbles decorating St. Mark’s really come from…
It’s just a few hours, see two top sites and get memories that will last a lifetime!
3 hours 30 minutes.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Exclusive Alone In St. Mark's Basilica And Doge's Palace Tour
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- Itinerary subject to change.
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes before the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
- This tour has a maximum capacity of 20 guests.
- Please remember that St. Mark's Basilica is a holy place and for your visit, their attire must be appropriate: both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees. Your tour guide and sales agent cannot be held responsible for denied entry due to improper dress.
- Backpacks are prohibited inside of St. Mark's Basilica.
- Occasionally St. Mark's Basilica and the Doge's Palace are closed to the public, without previous notice, due to high tides or particular festivities.
- The prisons and the armoury of the Doge's Palace are not wheelchair-accessible.
- Please note that there will be a short break (15-30 min) between your visit to the Doge’s Palace and your after-hours visit at St.Mark’s Basilica.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate guests with mobility impairments, wheelchairs or strollers on this tour.
- Cancellation Policy: A full refund will be given on cancellations made more than 72 hours before tour commencement. Cancellations received within 72 hours before the tour are non-refundable. We will, however, do our best to reschedule you for another tour. Please note, this is subject to availability and price changes.