Exclusive Alone in St. Mark’s Basilica After Hours
- Free cancellations*
- Pay in instalments
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
See St. Mark’s like almost no one else… almost alone! Explore the most famous sight in Venice and one of the most magnificent churches in the world without the lines or crowds. A Basilica guard unlocks the doors just for you and your small group with a maximum of 25 participants. It’s the ultimate in VIP treatment and the most unique way to visit St. Mark’s Basilica.
Our guide to Exclusive Alone in St. Mark’s Basilica After Hours
Your guide meets you at St. Mark’s Square. Through thrilling anecdotes and swashbuckling stories, learn about the history of Venice and St. Mark’s Basilica—like how it received its precious relics via a 9th-century kidnapping!
But then comes the real treat. All of the passersby will wonder where you’re going as a custodian unlocks the basilica’s doors for you....... and walks you right in.
Inside, take a deep breath. You’re experiencing St. Mark’s Basilica as almost nobody else does, or ever has been able to (aside from the Doge himself)—empty! No standing elbow-to-elbow with other tourists, no seeing the church as if through a strobe light from hundreds of popping flashbulbs, no noise from the crowds. Instead, you’re alone with your guide and the custodian. So you can experience the basilica as it should be experienced: in tranquillity and peace.
Of course, you’ll also be able to skip all the lines—not only into the basilica but also to see the Pala d’Oro, the spectacular, Byzantine altarpiece that uses more than 1,900 gems!
During the day, there’s a line to see this, but now? You have it almost all to yourself.
Since you’re alone in the basilica with Walks of Italy groups only, you can even go where others, visiting during the day, can’t. Like the crypt, which the custodian unlocks for you: This is where the bones of St. Mark are said to actually be kept. Plus, you can see the stained walls here from the past floods that have devastated Venice—the crypt used to be flooded every time the high tide hit the city!
Aside from the emptiness of the basilica, nighttime is the best time to visit because that’s when the mosaics are at their most beautiful. All 43,000 square feet are lit up, glimmering and sparkling in the dark!
If just seeing the basilica this way weren’t entrancing enough, there’s also your guide, an expert who’s passionate about Venetian art and history—and about sharing it with you in the most fun way possible. You’ll hear the tale of how St. Mark’s became St. Mark’s, a story that pivots on a kidnapping and a dangerous sea voyage! You’ll learn where the precious marbles decorating St. Mark’s really come from…
A one-hour tour that will give you memories which will last a lifetime!
Varies, please see calendar.
1 hour 30 minutes
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Exclusive Alone in St. Mark’s Basilica After Hours
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- Itinerary subject to change without notice.
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes before the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
- This tour has a maximum capacity of 20 guests.
- Please remember that St. Mark's Basilica is a holy place and for your visit, their attire must be appropriate: both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees. Your tour guide and sales agent cannot be held responsible for denied entry due to improper dress.
- Backpacks are prohibited inside of St. Mark's Basilica.
- Occasionally St. Mark's Basilica is closed to the public, without previous notice, due to high tides or particular festivities.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate guests with mobility impairments, wheelchairs or strollers on this tour.
- Cancellation Policy: A full refund will be given on cancellations made more than 72 hours before tour commencement. Cancellations received within 72 hours before the tour are non-refundable. We will, however, do our best to reschedule you for another tour. Please note, this is subject to availability and price changes.