Jökulsárlón Glacial Lagoon by Boat
- Free cancellations*
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Get a front-row seat to the glacial lagoon as you sail among the gigantic icebergs and take in the power and the peace of this magnificent natural phenomenon.
Our guide to Jökulsárlón Glacial Lagoon by Boat
Sail amongst the icebergs of the Jökulsárlón Glacial Lagoon. The lake is a result of Breiðarmerkurjökull glacier slowly retreating, leaving in its wake the lagoon and the oddly-shaped icebergs of various sizes. En route to the lagoon, you will see some of Iceland’s most magnificent scenery, including the tallest mountain in Iceland, Hvannadalshnjúkur, and the sprawling black sand desert between Skaftafell National Park and the lagoon itself.
With its enormous and ancient icebergs breaking off from the Vatnajökull glacier, this natural wonder of Iceland is a sight you cannot miss.
The lagoon produces a feeling of incredible tranquillity as the 1000-1500-year-old ice silently drifts into the lake and slowly melts away. The lagoon covers 18 square kilometres and reaches more than 248 metres at its deepest point. You may recognize the lagoon from scenes in Batman Begins, Tomb Raider and two James Bond movies.
We stop at the gorgeous Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss waterfalls. Seljalandsfoss is part of the Seljandsá River, which has its origins in the Eyjafjallajökull glacier. What makes Seljalandsfoss so famous and interesting is that you can walk behind it. We recommend you bring either a raincoat or a waterproof coat along if you want to walk behind it. Skógafoss, another famous Icelandic waterfall, is the starting point of the Fimmvörðuháls walk over to Þórsmörk. The waterfall was also used in the films Thor: The Dark Wood and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
Your tour will also stop at Vík í Mýrdal for dinner (not included) and there you can walk to the black sand beach and see the Reynisdrangar rock formations and columnar basalt.
Where we will stop during the tour:
• Glacier lagoon - with a boat tour among the icebergs
•Vík í Mýrdal
•Plus additional comfort stops
What you will see along the way (weather permitting):
• Volcanoes: Hekla, Eyjafjallajökull, Westman Islands, Katla and Öræfajökull.
• Glaciers: Langjökull, Mýrdalsjökull, Vatnajökull and several glacier snouts.
• Waterfalls: Skógafoss, Seljalandsfoss, Systrafoss, Foss á Síðu and several others.
• Sandy plains: Skógasandur, Sólheimasandur, Mýrdalssandur, Skeiðarársandur and Breiðamerkursandur.
• Coastlines: In Vik, at jökulsá - the diamond beach and view towards the south coast in several places.
• Fertile farmland and mossy lava fields
- Mondays, Wednesdays & Saturdays between May - 31 Oct
- 7.30 am with hotel pick-ups from approximately 30 minutes prior to that time.
- Between 14 and 15 hours
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Jökulsárlón Glacial Lagoon by Boat
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- You will be required to present a printed copy of your voucher at the time of tour departure.
- Pick-up starts 30 minutes before the tour departure time. You will be advised of specific times upon reconfirmation locally.
- Returning from your tour, you will be dropped off at the pick-up point you were collected from or at the closest possible point.
- Remember to bring warm clothing & rain gear.
- Children MUST be aged 1 year old and weigh a minimum of 9kg to participate in this tour. Babies younger than 1 year old (under 9 kg) are only safe in baby car seats that require 3-point seat belts, which cannot be provided. and you can not bring your own car seat. Child´s car seats for children 9 – 18 kg approx. (1 – 3 or 4 years old) will be provided. Children aged 3 or 4 years and older (over 18 kg) can use the normal seat belts on the bus.
- Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the supplier 72 hours prior to the tour date. No refunds are given for cancellations made within 72 hours of the tour date.