Windsor Castle Tickets
4 stars: Based on 1 reviews via
Windsor Castle is the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world, and Queen Elizabeth II loves to spend her weekends in this stunning fortress. Built in the 11th century by William the Conqueror, the castle is still a favorite residence of the royal family.
Our guide to Windsor Castle Tickets
This sprawling grand home covers an impressive area of 13 acres and overlooks charming Windsor town – visit the castle and find out why the Royal family have lived here for centuries!
Windsor Castle, the largest and oldest occupied castle in the world, is the home of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. The Castle's dramatic site encapsulates 900 years of British history and its magnificent State Rooms and works of art reflect the tastes of successive kings and queens.
In 1992 a devastating fire destroyed or damaged more than 100 rooms at the Castle. The highly acclaimed restoration work, completed in 1997, is a testament to the skills of some of the finest craftsmen in Europe.
HM The Queen and her family spend most of their private weekends at Windsor Castle. The Queen is also officially in residence throughout April and June, when the annual Garter Service is held in St George's Chapel.
Upon arrival at Windsor Castle, audio guides are available in different languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish.
- The State Apartments, the heart of the working palace, are regularly used for ceremonial and official occasions. They are furnished with some of the finest works of art from the Royal Collection, including paintings by Rembrandt, Rubens and Van Dyck. During the winter months the Semi-State Rooms, among the most richly decorated interiors in the Castle are added to the visitor route.
- Queen Mary's Dolls' House is the most famous dolls' house in the world. It took three years to complete and involved the work of 1,500 tradesmen, artists and authors. The house is unusually well equipped for its day with modern comforts and labour saving devices. It has electric lighting, an electric vacuum cleaner, hot and cold running water, and even flushing lavatories.
- St. George's Chapel is one of the finest examples of gothic architecture in England. It has been the setting for many royal weddings and is the burial place of ten sovereigns. The Chapel is dedicated to the patron saint of the Order of the Garter. Britain's highest Order of Chivalry.
- The Changing of the Guard takes place at 11:00am, weather permitting, from Monday to Saturday between April and the end of June, and on alternate days for the rest of the year, with the exception of Sundays.
Windsor Castle closures:
- 9 and 10 April 2020 – completely closed.
- 14 June 2020 – The State Apartments will be closed.
- 15 June 2020 – Castle completely closed.1
- 6 June 2020 – The State Apartments will be closed.
- 25 and 26 December – Castle completely closed.
St. George’s Chapel closures:
- 23 and 24 December – closes at 1:00pm.
St. George’s Chapel is usually closed to visitors on Sundays as services are held throughout the day. Worshippers are welcome to attend the services.
These occur at the following times:
08:30 – Holy Communion
10:45 – Mattins and Sermon
11:45 – Sung Eucharist
17:15 – Evensong
Windsor, Berkshire SL4 1NJ.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Windsor Castle Tickets
- Please note - If you ARE NOT travelling within the next 72 hours then it can take up to 7 days for your tickets to be uploaded. If you ARE travelling within the next 72 hours then once you've made your booking please contact us by replying to your confirmation email or by calling our Customer Service team.
- Please note that this experience is non-changeable and non-refundable
- As a working royal palace, the Castle is used frequently by The Queen for State ceremonies and official entertaining, and closures can occasionally occur at short notice.
- Under 5's go free
- The Castle is open to visitors everyday, including when The Queen is in residence, except for 25 and 26 December.
- As the Castle is a working royal palace opening arrangements may be subject to change at short notice.
- Cancellation Policy: Once booked, this ticket cannot be cancelled, refunded, exchanged or used in conjunction with any other offer. Please keep your ticket safe as, if this is lost, it cannot be replaced