Green Island and Great Barrier Reef Adventure
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
The complete reef and island experience!
All the features of the Great Barrier Reef Adventure with the additional inclusion of a two hour stopover to explore beautiful Green Island.
Our guide to Green Island and Great Barrier Reef Adventure
Enjoy this reef and island experience which takes you to the tropical Green Island and the spectacular outer reaches of the Great Barrier Reef.
Firstly, a 45-minute catamaran ride will whisk you to the beautiful Green Island, a 6000-year-old coral cay which is home to a unique reef and rainforest combination, which you will get to explore for a couple of hours.
Next, your day of adventure and discovery continues onto a spacious activity platform moored on the majestic Outer Great Barrier Reef. There, you can snorkel and dive directly off the platform amongst beautiful coral gardens and marine life or just relax on the sundeck and enjoy a delicious buffet lunch while taking in the amazing marine-scape.
Your day also includes an informative semi-submersible coral-viewing tour and underwater observatory with eco talk.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Green Island and Great Barrier Reef Adventure
- If you did not select hotel transfer, please make sure to check-in at the Great Adventures counters inside the Reef Fleet Terminal (1 Spence Street in Cairns) 1 hour before your departure time.
- On very rare occasions, services can be subject to the effect of weather or unforeseen circumstances. Should a cruise not operate for any reason passengers will be offered an alternative day or a refund authorised.
- Those wishing to dive will be required to fill out a medical questionnaire on board prior to diving. Certain medical conditions and medications may preclude some people from diving. It is recommended a wait of 12 hours but preferably 24 hours, if doing multiple dives, before ascending to an altitude of 300 metres or greater. Snorkelling can be a strenuous activity. Please use caution and inform the crew of any medical conditions. The minimum age for diving is 12 years.
- Bring along a towel, sunscreen, hat, swimwear and camera to capture your memories. Limited underwater digital cameras are available to hire onboard.
- An Environmental Management Charge of $7.00 is levied on all adults and children 4 years and over entering the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage area. This charge is included in the above prices.
- With fluctuations in world oil prices, it may be necessary to apply a fuel surcharge to your ticket price. In such cases any charge will be collected on departure.
- Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled prior to your holiday departure date. No refunds are given for cancellations made post departure.
Frequently Asked Questions for Green Island and Great Barrier Reef Adventure
- How do I check-in before departure?
Please check-in at the Great Adventures counters inside the Reef Fleet Terminal (1 Spence Street in Cairns) 1 hour before your departure time.
- Will I get seasick?
Hopefully not. The large, stable fast catamarans provide very good sea keeping even in rougher ocean conditions. Where there is motion, whether a car, bus, plane or boat, some people will suffer from motion sickness. Motion sickness tablets are available onboard for purchase. There are also ginger tablets as a natural alternative motion sickness medication on a complimentary basis. To be effective, motion sickness medications should be taken immediately on boarding. If you are concerned about potential motion sickness, being closer to the coast, Green Island is a shorter 45 minute journey and is more protected than a cruise to the Outer Reef.
- Do you supply life jackets?
Life jackets are onboard for emergency use only. However, flotation/buoyancy vests are available for use whilst swimming or snorkelling. At Green Island, these can be hired from the Dive Shop. For passengers continuing on to the Outer Reef, please help yourself to these from the front of the platform with the rest of your snorkelling equipment.
- What is the temperature of the water?
The warm waters of Tropical North Queensland range in temperature from 22-29 Celsius (75-85 Fahrenheit) and make for year round comfort for water activities.
- What time does the boat depart Cairns and return?
For the “Green Island and Great Barrier Reef Adventure”, your vessel departs Cairns at 8.30am, departs the island at 11.30am, and returns to Cairns at approximately 5.20pm.
- If we book a certain return time for a Green Island cruise, can we change to an earlier or later departure once we are over on the Island?
Yes, if there is availability the crew at the Information Counter on Green Island can amend your return times. If it is fully booked however, you will have to return on your originally scheduled departure time.
- How long do we spend at the Outer Reef and how long does it take to get there?
You will spend approximately 3 hours at the Outer Reef Platform. Travelling time from Green Island to the Outer Reef is approximately 50 minutes.
- Is Green Island still part of the Great Barrier Reef?
Yes, Green Island is situated in the Inner part of the Great Barrier Reef.
- Do you have prescription masks available?
Standard masks magnify objects underwater by about 25%. We do have prescription masks up to -8.0 available. If you need a prescription mask, please advise when reconfirming your booking locally as there is a limited supply, especially in the higher prescription strengths.
- Do you cater for vegetarians?
Yes, the daily buffet lunch at the Outer Reef provides food options for vegetarians. All menu options are labelled with ingredients lists. On Green Island, the restarant and food outlets provide a wide range of food options suitable for vegetarians. If you have special dietary needs, please advise when reconfirming your booking locally.