Geldingadalur Volcano Guided Tour
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Reykjanes Geopark is located on a peninsula divided between two continents. This unique place is on the drift zone between the North American and the Eurasian continental plates making it a true Volcanic Wonder.
Our guide to Geldingadalur Volcano Guided Tour
See the newly formed lava in Geldingadalur by Fagradalsfjall
The first eruption in the Reykjanes Peninsula in about 800 years provides a unique opportunity to study the geologic mysteries of the region. After being shaken by months of increasingly disruptive earthquakes, Iceland’s Reykjanes Peninsula finally experienced the volcanic eruption that many geologists suspected was on its way for months prior.
Start the day by exploring one of the most iconic features of the Icelandic volcanic landscape, the boiling mud pools of Seltún, and the steaming and colourful surrounding landscape.
Drive along the Reykjanes peninsula, you are constantly in the presence of the roaring Atlantic Ocean, endless lava fields, and volcanic craters. It surely is an alien landscape, decorated by windblown palagonite and petrified troll formations.
Next up on your adventure is the youngest volcano in Iceland, Fagradalsfjall Volcano, and its surrounding lava fields. The hike up to the craters takes about 40 minutes, where you will be able to explore the devastating yet beautiful aftermath of this recent volcanic eruption.
After the volcano hike, you will stop by the bridge between continents, where you can walk between the continental plates that divide the peninsula. This stop underlines this unique placement directly on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
On your way back to Reykjavík, your tour will stop by the largest mud pool in Iceland, Gunnuhver where you can feel the ground shake from the enormous power released from the boiling water and steam released.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Geldingadalur Volcano Guided Tour
- In the event of inclement weather, road closures or other causes which may impact your hotel pick-up, you will be advised of the nearest collection point. It is the customer's responsibility to be at this location in order to be collected.
- Please wear hiking shoes and bring crampons as conditions can be slippery during winter.
- Travellers need to bring their own face mask and are required to use it onboard all buses.
- You will be required to present a printed copy of your voucher at the time of tour departure.
- Pick-up from hotels and guesthouses starts 30 minutes before the tour departure time. You will be advised specific times upon reconfirmation locally.
- Returning from your tour, you will be dropped off at the pick-up point you were collected from or at the closest possible point.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the operator up to 72 hours before your chosen activity date. No refunds are given for cancellations made within 72 hours.