Barcelona Highlights & Montserrat with Cog-Wheel Train
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Enjoy a walking tour of the Gothic Quarter and see the beautiful Cathedral of Barcelona. Have a panoramic tour through the city. Visit Montjuïc and enjoy the views from the cable car. Take the cogwheel train and enjoy a breathtaking ride up to Montserrat. Visit the Black Madonna known as La Moreneta in the Basilica or taste some of the local liquors made in the area.
Our guide to Barcelona Highlights & Montserrat with Cog-Wheel Train
For the first part of the activity, enjoy a walking tour of the Born neighborhood and the Gothic Quarter. Stroll down one of the most important streets in the city until you reach the Cathedral of Barcelona. Walk the narrow streets of the oldest part of the city and discover the many secrets it holds. Marvel at the quaint medieval places hidden to the crowds and learn about their huge historical significance. Follow your guide through the streets of Born neighborhood and the Gothic Quarter and discover places such as Plaça Sant Felip Neri, Arc de Triomf and Plaça Sant Jaume.
Board an air-conditioned coach for a panoramic tour through the city. We will head towards the Mountain of Montjuic, main scenery of the Olympic Games in 1992. Ride the cable car for amazing views over the city. At the end of the tour, you will stop in the MNAC viewpoint to see one of the most beautiful panoramic views of the city. During the way back to the office, the bus will drive through Passeig de Gracia and you will see some of the most emblematic Gaudi buildings such as Casa Batlló and la Pedrera.
Check in back again at our office in Estació del Nord before the starting time of the afternoon activity. Meet your guide and come aboard an air-conditioned coach to Montserrat.
After a 1h drive on the highway, board the cogwheel train up the mountain and enjoy the amazing views. Admire the Mountain’s peculiar morphology, which comes from the Catalan words Mont (mountain) and Serrat (serrated). World-famous for its rocky geography, Montserrat beautiful scenery was declared National Park in 1987 to protect its natural and cultural wealth.
Follow your local guide through the site and learn about the history and architectural style of the Monastery. A community of 80 monks currently lives and follow the rule of Saint Benedict in Montserrat. Fall in love with the Gothic and Renaissance details of the basilica and sanctuary. Learn about the legend of the miraculous apparition of the Madonna and Child in the cave of Santa Cova. To this day, their woodcarving is kept in the Church of the monastery, which you will be able to visit. The figure is popularly known as La Moreneta (The Black Madonna) as a result of a varnish reaction.
Besides the main area, there are a great number of small churches and trails you can follow. You will be given free time to taste the finest liquors, shop for locally produced treats or visit the audio-visual exhibition once our guided tour finishes.
- Get aboard the Montjuic cable car for breathtaking views over Barcelona.
- Montserrat Museum: wide variety of archeological artworks from medieval times to avant-garde style. Entrance fee not included on the tour.
- Hiking routes: although there are plenty of trails to follow, we recommend you to reach the cross of Sant Miquel (approximately 15 minutes from the monastery) as it offers one of the best views of the area.
From April - October departure is at 3.00pm, check in at the Julià Travel office in Estació del Nord is at 2.45pm.
From November - March departure is at 2.00pm, check in at the Julià Travel office in Estació del Nord is at 1.45pm.
Departure: Julia Travel office, Estació del Nord, ground floor, platform 19. Please check in at the counter
Departs: April to October - Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. November to March - Monday, Wednesday and Saturday 830am.
Duration: Approximately 11 hours
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Barcelona Highlights & Montserrat with Cog-Wheel Train
- Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the supplier 24 hours prior to the tour date. No refunds are given for cancellations made within 24 hours of tour date.
- This activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers per guide.
- From the end of January to the beginning of March the cable car is under maintenance (days to concrete). The service will be replaced by the Port cable car.
- Please note this activity includes walking long distances. Wear appropriate attire.
- Julià Travel reserves the right to change the itinerary or cancel the tour due to events being celebrated in the city or force majeure reasons.
- Please check the schedule for the facilities you wish to visit at the site.