Cape Reinga Wanderer Tour
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
A visit to New Zealand is not complete without a journey to the very top of the North Island. Cape Reinga is, a unique region of haunting beauty which provides many natural wonders and plenty of adventure.
Our guide to Cape Reinga Wanderer Tour
Your tour starts from Paihia or Kerikeri and takes you on a fun filled day to Cape Reinga at the northern tip of the Aupouri Peninsula and you will enjoy many stops along the way.
The first stop is at the Puketi Kauri forest where you can marvel at the ancient trees towering above you. Enjoy a 20 minute boardwalk stroll through this native forest with 1000 year old Kauri trees. Reaching heights of over 50 metres, these mighty trees have been exploited in the past for their wood and gum, but are now largely protected in New Zealand. Your coach will then take you barrelling along never-ending Ninety Mile Beach past huge sand dunes and the Te Paki quicksand stream.
On 90 Mile Beach you can go for a swim, fossick in the sand for shells or dig for pipis, New Zealand shellfish. If you have something more adventurous in mind, how about tobogganing down one of the 7 square km of enormous sand dunes. Your driver provides you with an informative commentary throughout the day and as you continue on to the lighthouse at Cape Reinga you will soon begin to realise the significance of this area to the Maori people. Not only is this remote and rugged area the place where the Tasman Sea and Pacific Ocean meet creating an amazing fusion of different colours and currents, it is also the place where Maori believe the spirits of the dead depart the earth.
The souls of the dead are thought to travel north to Cape Reinga (or Te Rerenga Wairua) and then slide down the roots of a lone pohutukawa tree to join their ancestral spirits in the underworld, Hawaiki. This 800 year old pohutukawa tree is still standing for you to see today.
After visiting the fully functioning light house you will say goodbye to this magical area and head to Mangonui, a delightful fishing port which thrived when the whaling industry was in full swing before travelling back down the length of the Aupouri Peninsula.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Cape Reinga Wanderer Tour
- Please bring a swimming costume should you wish to swim in the sea, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and a change of clothes for sandboarding.
- Fuel levies may be introduced when required. Should this occur, charges will be payable direct and subject to change without notice.
- This tour picks up from Paihia and Kerikeri only.
- Passengers staying in Russell (via Bay Belle Ferry): please show your voucher at the Russell Ticket Office and you will be issued with a Ferry ticket. Bay Belle Ferry departs Russell for Paihia at 7.00am.
- The tide on Ninety Mile Beach will determine whether your coach travels north or south along the beach. This is at the driver's discretion.
- Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled prior to your holiday departure date. No refunds are given for cancellations made post departure.