The Viking Horse and Golden Circle Afternoon
- Free cancellations*
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Ideal for nature lovers!
This tour takes you on a horse riding expedition in the beautiful countryside on the outskirts of the capital, before showing you a sample of the natural phenomena that Iceland is famous for.
Our guide to The Viking Horse and Golden Circle Afternoon
The day starts with a horse riding trip through the beautiful outer-Reykjavik countryside on the back of an Icelandic Viking horse. This breed was brought to Iceland by the Vikings in the 9th century and are renowned for being docile and sure footed, meaning that anyone from beginners to experts can enjoy this tour.
After the riding excursion there is a break for lunch (not included) before heading further afield to see the amazing natural phenomena that Iceland is famous for. First stop is Thingvellir, where the Icelandic parliament was established in 930 AD. This is now a site of historical, cultural and geological importance as it marks the spot where the American and European tectonic plates meet.
The tour continues to the magnificent Gullfoss waterfall, before viewing Geysir and Strokkur – hot springs erupting from below the Earth’s crust. Geysir is thought to be the oldest known geyser and one of the best examples of this phenomenon in the world.
On the way back to Reykjavik you will visit the horticultural ‘green house’ town of Hveragerdi where you will learn how geothermal energy has been harnessed.
Daily, year round.
Around 9.5 hours.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for The Viking Horse and Golden Circle Afternoon
- In the event of inclement weather, road closures or other causes which may impact your hotel pick-up, you will be advised of the nearest collection point. It is the customer's responsibility to be at this location in order to be collected.
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- You will be required to present a printed copy of your voucher at the time of tour departure.
- Pick-up from hotels and guest houses starts 30 minutes before the tour departure time. You will be advised specific times upon reconfirmation locally.
- Returning from your tour, you will be dropped off at the pick-up point you were collected from or at the closest possible point.
- This tour isn't suitable for children under the age of 6.
- Please note, all participants should be comfortable riding a horse on their own.
- Dress according to the weather for the day, but wear suitable clothes for riding a horse.
- No previous horse-riding experience required.
- Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the operator up to 72 hours before your chosen activity date. No refunds are given for cancellations made within 72 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions for The Viking Horse and Golden Circle Afternoon
Do I need to be an experienced rider to do the Viking Horse tour?
Beginners are welcome to do this tour. All guests should be in relatively good physical shape.