Windmills, Marken and Volendam Half Day Tour
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Perfect way to see some of Holland's highlights!
Head out of Amsterdam and explore typical Dutch countryside on this charming half day tour. See locals in colourful dress, visit the famous windmill village of Zaanse Schans and learn about traditional clog and cheese making techniques. ***For Summer 2020, your ticket also includes a FREE 60-minute Amsterdam sightseeing cruise!***
Our guide to Windmills, Marken and Volendam Half Day Tour
Your day starts with a scenic drive through the Dutch countryside characterised by polders and little canals as you head to the Zaanse Schans village, famous for its collection of wooden windmills.
The windmills are all still in use and offer a glimpse of Dutch life in the 17th and 18th centuries when thousands of windmills were lined along the dykes and powered the Dutch economy.
Here you have a chance to explore one of the mills that still perform various functions including a saw mill, a paint mill (grinding pigments), and oil mill (grinding linseed or peanuts to draw off the oil). You will also get the chance to visit a wooden shoemaker to learn how clogs are made.
Afterwards, the tour continues to the renowned fishing villages of Volendam and Marken, where you can see traditional Dutch wooden houses and locals still wear traditional colourful dress.
A twenty minute boat trip takes you between the two villages and there's around 45 minutes free time in both Volendam and Marken to explore and shop. Your return journey to Amsterdam takes you to a cheese farm where cheese is still made using traditional techniques.
FREE: Tours departing from the 19th March up to the 18th October include a complimentary 60-minute Amsterdam sightseeing cruise!
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Windmills, Marken and Volendam Half Day Tour
- The boat ride does not operate in the winter months.
- Please be at the meeting point 30 minutes before the tour begins.
- Itinerary subject to change without notice.
- No canal cruise on the 27th April.
- Free sightseeing cruise is only valid for departures between the 19th March 2020 and the 18th October 2020.
- Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled prior to your holiday departure date. No refunds are given for cancellations made post departure.