Wieliczka Salt Mine Tour
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 1800 927 467
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
A visit to the mind-blowing Wieliczka Salt Mine is a must when in Krakow. One of the oldest salt mines in Europe, its carvings of fabulous figures, monuments and altarpieces such as the Chapel of St Kinga have earned Wieliczka a place on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list.
Our guide to Wieliczka Salt Mine Tour
The “Wieliczka” Salt Mine is one of the most valuable monuments of material and spiritual culture in Poland and is the product of multiple generations of miners who hand-carved it from blocks of salt. Suffice to say, this subterranean world of pits, tunnels and huge rooms have to be seen to be believed!
The first tourist trail in Wieliczka was established as early as the turn of the 19th century and a few hundred years later the salt mine was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site (1978).
Nowadays the route consists of 20 monumental chambers joined by 1.5 miles (2.5 kilometres) of pathways although the whole underground labyrinth stretches over 9 levels and descends 327 meters below the surface of the Earth.
Your guided tour takes you from 210 to 440 feet (approximately 64 to 135 meters) down, passing through galleries and chambers where traces of mining activity have been preserved. Along the way, you will also see many examples of sacred art and themed compositions relating to the history of the mine and legends.
One of the undoubted highlights is the spectacular Chapel of the Blessed Kinga - a huge, underground church where everything, from the chandeliers to the altarpieces, has been chiselled out of salt. Spectacular!
Also, don't miss the world's largest mining heritage museum with a collection encompassing unique pieces of mining equipment reflecting the development of mining techniques from the Middle Ages until today.
Daily, year round.
Varies - see calendar.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Wieliczka Salt Mine Tour
- Your precise pick-up point and time will be advised upon confirmation. Kiss and Ride Straszewskiego 14, Hotel Malantanski
- Please note after the tour, you will be dropped off in the city centre.
- Child rates are available for guests aged between 5 and 18.
- According to Polish law children, up to 12 years old or under the height of 1.5m are obliged to travel in a baby seat or booster seat. These will be provided free of charge.
- Please note, there are 800 steps to climb in the Salt Mine, of which, 350 are at the beginning to take you down into the mine. Although this walk is not overly strenuous it should be considered when booking this tour.
- The Salt Mine tour requires lots of walking and climbing stairs and isn't suitable for those with mobility issues.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: Once booked it is not possible to refund your Salt Mine ticket.
Frequently Asked Questions for Wieliczka Salt Mine Tour
- Does this tour contain a lot of walking?
There are 800 steps to climb in the Salt Mine, of which, 350 are at the beginning to take you down into the mine. Although this walk is not overly strenuous it should be considered when booking this tour.
- Does it get cold in the mine?
The salt mine stays at a temperature of approximately 14 degrees Centigrade; please wear warm clothes and comfortable shoes.
- How does the hotel pick-up work?
Hotel pick-up is not included. It is the customer's responsibility to make their own way to the pick-up point which will be advised upon confirmation. Please note there is no hotel drop off - the tour will end in Krakow city centre.