Windmills, Marken and Volendam Day Trip
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 1800 927 467
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Perfect way to see some of Holland's highlights!
Head out of Amsterdam and explore typical Dutch countryside on these fascinating tours. See locals in colourful dress, visit the famous windmill village of Zaanse Schans, learn about traditional clog and cheese making techniques and more. There are two levels of the tour to choose from!
Our guide to Windmills, Marken and Volendam Day Trip
When you get outside the Dutch capital you enter a different world, with most of the small towns surrounding the city appearing like open-air museums. The Dutch Countryside and Windmills Tour will take you from Amsterdam to the villages of Zaanse Schans, Volendam and to the former island of Marken.
A visit to Zaanse Schans means you can get your fill of historical windmills. Over ten windmills line the banks of the Zaan river and the area around them is free for you to wander around in as it really is an open-air museum. You can enter some of the windmills for a small extra charge - included on the All-In ticket.
Volendam is a typical Dutch fishing village and taking a walk along De Dijk and through the harbour area will not disappoint. Here you will visit the Cheese Factory to learn more about how the Dutch make cheese and have a little taste as well.
Another stop along the tour is Woltjes Backerij, where you will step back in time to the 19th century to see how people lived then and how they made stroopwafels.
The third location visited on the tour is the village of Marken, a former island in the Markermeer, now a peninsula. If you select the 'All-In' ticket, you'll travel between Marken and Volendam by boat, with a scenic, 30 minutes trip across the IJsselmeer.
Enjoy the view as you sail past the towns of Monnickendam and Katwoude. When you walk among the houses on Marken, be careful to stay on the road because before you know it you're in someone's garden. A visit to a traditional clog, or wooden shoe, maker completes our tour.
There are two ticket options to choose from!
1) Windmills, Marken and Volendam Classic Tour: This is the basic version of the tour which gives you plenty of free time to explore as you wish as well as including the following:
- The traditional Dutch experience in Volendam & Marken
- An up-close look at the windmills of Zaanse Schans
- See how cheese and stroopwafels are made
- Live guide
- Audio guide on the bus with 16 languages and free earphones
2) Windmills, Marken and Volendam All-in Tour: As the name suggests, this itinerary includes all of the highlights from the Classic Tour as well as the following extras:
- 30 minute boat tour between Volendam & Marken
- Visit a traditional clog maker to see how clogs are made
- Visit an authentic Marken home from the 1940s
- Visit an operational windmill
8.45am and 2.45pm
Approximately 7 hours.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Windmills, Marken and Volendam Day Trip
- The boat ride doesn't operate in the winter months.
- Itinerary subject to change without notice.
- The use of a facemask is required during your trip while on the bus.
- Duration: about 7 hours, including approx. 90 minute driving time in stages.
- Check-in: 15 minutes before departure at Amsterdam Central Station: IJ-Hal, De Ruijterkade 34 a.
- Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled before your holiday departure date. No refunds are given for cancellations made post-departure.