Rome As a Local: Hidden Gems & Ancient Wonders
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Discover the Eternal City in a whole new light!
If you have an interest in history or are a seasoned traveler looking for a unique Italian experience; our Rome Off-The-Beaten-Path tour is for you. For a full morning you’ll travel with an expert local guide to far-flung sights around Rome, visiting incredible spots rarely seen by visitors — the kind of sights that locals show to visiting friends.
Our guide to Rome As a Local: Hidden Gems & Ancient Wonders
The tour begins in one of the most important, but most often ignored, neighborhoods in the history of Rome; the Jewish Ghetto. Existing since 1555, this neighborhood was integral to the development of regional foods and Roman culture and still contains such landmarks as the Teatro Marcello, a.k.a. the Jewish Colosseum.
From there you’ll head to Tiber Island - which has connected the bridges on both sides of the Tiber River since antiquity - to take a tour of the picturesque area. Trastevere has become popular with visitors in recent years, but there are still plenty of hidden gems! Discover some of the neighborhood’s lesser-known treasures - including the beautiful Church of Santa Cecilia - before nipping in to a local historic bakery for a delectable pastry tasting.
Leave the city in search of the most frequented thoroughfare in Ancient Rome; the Appian Way or Via Appia Antica where, as you stroll down the original paving stones, your expert guide tells stories of the thriving empire that once clogged this great road every day. From the veneration of Emperor Augustus to the crucifixion of Spartacus, this road is played a central role in many of Rome’s greatest events.
Just like visitors to Ancient Rome, your trip outside the walls will take you past the Park of the Aqueducts. Here you can admire at the giant structures that once provided Rome with fresh, running water on demand. But don’t get too busy soaking up all that history, you’ll need to take advantage of a few photo ops!
After a short, comfortable drive back into the city you’ll emerge at Rome’s striking Pyramid of Caius Cestius, then it’s on to Testaccio Market to immerse yourself in daily Roman life. Take in the sights and sounds of this bustling, effervescent market before veering off the path to a local authentic fresh pasta maker’s stand. Get hands on as you indulge in a fresh pasta tasting, and relax with a refreshing beverage.
With an expert English speaking guide, a driver to chauffeur you in an air-conditioned, private vehicle, and a small group of no more than 15 people, you’ll really be experiencing the city as an insider.
April - October.
Around 3 hours 30 minutes
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Rome As a Local: Hidden Gems & Ancient Wonders
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- Itinerary subject to change without notice.
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
- Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate guests with mobility impairments, wheelchairs or strollers on this tour.
- Cancellation Policy: A full refund will be given on cancellations made more than 72 hours prior to tour commencement. Cancellations received within 72 hours prior to the tour are non-refundable. We will, however, do our best to reschedule you for another tour. Please note, this is subject to availability and price changes.
- Tours depart precisely at the scheduled tour start time. If you show up late or cannot find the meeting point, for any reason, refund requests are not honoured per policy. For most tours, it is not logistically possible to join the group after it has started.