The Golden Circle & Lava Tunnel
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
This combination tour takes you to the Golden Circle Direct & the Lava Tunnel Raufarhólshellir cave. Experience a new world of Iceland's natural wonders.
Our guide to The Golden Circle & Lava Tunnel
Start the day witnessing the inner workings of a volcanic eruption, walking the path of lava that flowed thousands of years ago. The lava tunnel is one of the biggest in Iceland and can reach up to 30 metres wide and 10 metres high. In the past the ceiling of the lava tube caved in near the entrance, creating beautiful columns of light along the tunnel walls from the sunlight above. These fantastic ranges of colours are caused by the light hitting different mineral types in the rock wall.
On the tour you get to experience and sense the forces of nature like you have never done before. Learn new things and step out of your comfort zone. Scenes from the Hollywood movie Noah, with Anthony Hopkins, were shot in this lava cave.
The next part of the tour takes you to three of Iceland’s most stunning sights; Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir geothermal area and Þingvellir National Park.
The Geysir geothermal area boasts spouting springs, including Strokkur, the most active geyser in Iceland. All geysers in the world get their name from the now mostly dormant Geysir hot spring, from which the area also gets its name. At Gullfoss you are given the opportunity to stand next to the amazing waterfall, watching enormous quantities of water tumble violently into a deep, meandering gorge.
Picks up from most hotels and guesthouses in Reykjavik
9.00am with hotel pick-ups from approximately 30 minutes prior to that time.
Approximately 9 hours and 30 minutes.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for The Golden Circle & Lava Tunnel
- In the event of inclement weather, road closures or other causes which may impact your hotel pick-up, you will be advised of the nearest collection point. It is the customer's responsibility to be at this location in order to be collected.
- Please remember to dress warmly and wear sturdy footwear.
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- You will be required to present a printed copy of your voucher at the time of tour departure.
- Pick-up from hotels and guesthouses starts 30 minutes before the tour departure time. You will be advised of specific times upon reconfirmation locally.
- Returning from your tour, you will be dropped off at the pick-up point you were collected from or at the closest possible point.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the operator up to 72 hours before your chosen activity date. No refunds are given for cancellations made within 72 hours
Frequently Asked Questions for The Golden Circle & Lava Tunnel
Clothing & Accessories
Do I need special equipment to visit the Lava Tunnel?
No, you will be supplied with the necessary equipment such as helmets and lights. It is recommended to wear good hiking shoes and warm clothing as the temperature in the cave is around 0-4 degrees celcius. Waterproofs are also recommended as water sometimes drips from the ceiling of the cave.
How far away is the Lava Tunnel from Reykjavik?
The Lava Tunnel is located about 30 minutes from Reykjavik centre.
Is the Lava Tunnel suitable for everyone?
You do need to be in good physical shape and able to walk through rough terrain with big boulders without difficulty. It is not recommended for guests with back, knee, or mobility issues.
What is the Golden Circle?
The Golden Circle is Iceland's most popular route between 3 of its most visited attractions, Þingvellir National Park, Geysir geothermal area, and Gullfoss waterfall.
When should I visit the Golden Circle?
The Golden Circle is a year-round attraction, although during Iceland's summer, you will enjoy longer days.
Facilities & Amenities
Are there toilets on the Golden Circle?
There are toilets during the Golden Circle tour, but some locations may require you to pay to use the facilities.
How many miles is the Golden Circle?
The typical journey covers around 230Km (140 miles). You can actually drive the route in just over 3 hours, but will need to factor in time to stop and take in the sites also.