The Complete Vatican Tour With Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel & St. Peter's Basilica
5 stars: Based on 1 reviews via
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 1800 927 467
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
This Complete Vatican Tour is designed to give you a unique understanding of the history and world-class art collection of the Vatican. It shows you all the classics and throws in a few surprises to take you on a deep, artistic adventure in just over 3 hours.
Our guide to The Complete Vatican Tour With Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel & St. Peter's Basilica
You will start by skipping the (always long) lines to get into the museum and diving right into the galleries holding some of the most famous works of art in the world. This specially-designed route encompasses all the can’t-miss pieces while also including some of the lesser known works that will really dazzle you.
Your expert, English-speaking guide will give you eye-opening insight and context (along with some great stories) as you explore the Raphael Rooms, the Belvedere courtyard with ‘Apollo Belvedere’ & the Laocoön group, the Pinecone Courtyard, the Gallery of the Candelabra, the Gallery of the Maps, and the Gallery of the Tapestries.
The piéce-de-resistance is, of course, the Sistine Chapel. Your guide will prep you for your time here by telling you the stories behind the creation of the iconic frescoes as well as what they mean. When you enter, you will then be able to appreciate the full majesty of the room, spotting little details like Michelangelo’s self-portrait and the rather painful revenge he plotted for the Pope’s aide (he wasn’t his biggest fan…)
Finally, trade the artistic masterpieces of the Vatican Museums for the architectural masterpiece that is St. Peter’s Basilica. Traveling with a licensed guide has its perks, as you’ll learn when you use the special guides-only door leading from the Sistine Chapel directly to the Basilica (and past long general access lines).
Built over St. Peter’s tomb, it took the best minds of the Renaissance more than 120 years to complete St. Peter’s Basilica. It was worth every second though, as you’ll discover during a 1-hour tour with your guide. They’ll lead you to Michelangelo’s ‘Pietà’ (the only work he ever felt the need to sign: Your guide will tell you why) Bernini’s soaring baldacchino altar, and the well-worn feet of St. Peter, which pilgrims rub for good luck.
While many tour operators fit 25 or more people into their Vatican tours, you will never be with a group of more than 20. This gives you a more intimate experience led by the most engaging, and knowledgeable guides in the Vatican.
Varies, please see calendar.
Around 3 hours 15 minutes.
Average 5 out of 5 (1 customer reviews)
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for The Complete Vatican Tour With Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel & St. Peter's Basilica
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- Itinerary subject to change without notice.
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off is NOT included. Please meet your guide at the green bar (called l'Ottagono) in Piazza del Risorgimento
- This tour ends in St.Peter's Basilica.
- Please remember that the Sistine Chapel is a holy place, and attire must be appropriate for the visit. Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees.
- We advise our clients that St.Peter's Basilica may be closed during special celebrations/festivities, including the Easter ceremonies. If this occurs during your visit, we will spend more time inside the Sistine Chapel and the Vatican Museums. We are unable to provide refunds in this case.
- While the Vatican Museums are equipped with elevators for wheelchair and stroller access, they are not conveniently located on the group tour route and only give access to specific sections of the Museums. Please contact us to make further arrangements.
- Please note that guests may only carry small handbags inside the Vatican Museums. Larger backpacks and big pointy umbrellas etc must be left at the cloakroom. It is the responsibility of the guest to return to the Vatican Museums entrance to collect these after the tour.
- Please ensure that all members of your party have a valid ID on them on the day of the visit. This is particularly important for guests who have qualified for child reduction.
- Cancellation policy: Cancellations received greater than 72 hours prior to tour commencement are fully refundable. Cancellations received within 72 hours of tour commencement are non-refundable. Amendment requests are subject to availability and price changes.
- Tours depart precisely at the scheduled tour start time. If you show up late or cannot find the meeting point, for any reason, refund requests are not honoured per policy. For most tours, it is not logistically possible to join the group after it has started.
Frequently Asked Questions for The Complete Vatican Tour With Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel & St. Peter's Basilica