Roman Crypts and Catacombs Tour
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Discover a different side of Rome and millenniums of history as you descend into the Eternal city’s underground burial chambers and explore its long winding catacombs and crypts on this unique tour.
Our guide to Roman Crypts and Catacombs Tour
The one and only tour that takes you to crypts and catacombs from different historical eras, in various locations and with varying styles. Much of what Rome has to offer is buried underground - and through this tour, you can discover the underside of Rome. The tour starts at one of the Roman Catacombs, the Eternal Citys underground burial chambers where long winding passages unfold millennia of history among tombs and inventive handmade memorials, taking you to a time when Christianity was considered a simple cult whose members were executed aspagans and buried as martyrs.
Then its on to Basilica San Clemente where the sound of running water drove one clergyman to dig his way through the floor tiles. What he discovered was the wedding cake layers of history piled on top of each other so that visitors today climb down to a4th century church, the 2nd century remains of a Mithraic temple and finally, an incredibly preserved 1st century Roman street. With ruins reaching 57ft deep, it makes you wonder what lies beneath the rest of Rome.
Your journey through the centuries ends with a bang at perhaps the most memorable (and certainly the most original!) site we visit on any of our tours in any city the Capuchin Crypt and Museum. Here the remains of 4,000 Capuchin monks literally rest in pieces. Their remains have been used to decorate the underground crypt with vertebrae chandeliers, real-life skulls and cross-bones and robe-clad skeletons leering from the walls. Morbid fascination or respectful art? You'll be the judge of that.
Piazza Barberini in Central Rome.
Daily during the Summer 9.50am
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Roman Crypts and Catacombs Tour
- Customers must make their own way to the starting point in Piazza Barberini.
- You must arrive by 2.15pm at the starting point. The tour departs at 2.30pm and the group will not wait for late comers.
- The tour concludes back at Piazza Barberini
- Entry into many churches/religious buildings require that you follow a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women. We cannot be held responsible for refused entry due to improper dress.