Meet The Met: Extended Metropolitan Museum of Art Tour
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 1800 927 467
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
You may have seen New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art before, but you've never seen it like this. Travel through 6,000 years and across the globe in just a few hours, to gain a greater understanding of the length and breadth of this world-class collection. In small groups of 15 people or fewer, you’ll delve into the history and art of the Met, seeing works come to life through the stories of your expert guide.
Our guide to Meet The Met: Extended Metropolitan Museum of Art Tour
Start your tour in the ancient world, with a visit to Ancient Egyptian tomb models. Incredibly well preserved, these pieces were a more important discovery than they seem, as they offered pictorial insight into what life in Ancient Egypt was like. This insight continues at the incredible Temple of Dendur, fully intact and surreally displayed inside a naturally lit atrium, nestled in Central Park.
Your world tour returns to New York for stained glass by Tiffany and then hops over to Britain to size up the armor of notorious King Henry VIII. Next, head east for the Antioch Chalice, believed by some to be the Holy Grail itself, the cup from which Jesus drank on the night he was betrayed. Believe the story? You’ll have time to debate its merits with your expert guide. For historians the next few stops are a true delight – the Greek and Roman wing contain elegant statues, imperial Roman busts, and intact frescos buried along with those at Pompeii.
Off to exotic Oceania to see boldly carved Bisj poles from Papua New Guinea, for which a Rockefeller gave his life. We’ll then move to the second floor to admire Water Lilies by Monet, a Thinker by Rodin, and the swirling strokes of van Gogh.
It’s break time inside the museum or atop the rooftop garden (May-October only, weather permitting) for verdant vistas of Central Park.
The tour continues to the Golden Age of Dutch painting, perusing portraits by Rembrandt and marveling at the virtuosity of Vermeer. After a brief passage through Italy, it’s off to Spain to see El Greco and to France for Jacques-Louis David’s famous Death of Socrates.
A little scandal is in store, as your guide gives the inside story of John Singer Sargent’s infamous Madame X. You’ll then be dwarfed by the immense iconic Washington Crossing the Delaware – one of the most recognized paintings in the United States.
Besides from what’s listed here, you’ll see little surprises and quirks of the collection as you tour. Our small group and expert guides will allow you to ask questions, be engaged, and take the most from your Met experience!
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Meet The Met: Extended Metropolitan Museum of Art Tour
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- Itinerary subject to change.
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
- This tour has a maximum capacity of 15 guests.
- The Temple of Dendur is occasionally rented out for private events with no advance notice provided. While usually this occurs in the evening times, closures may impact this tour. In such cases, other works from the Egyptian collection will be substituted. Even more rarely, the Met may rent out select rooms for private events in which the same rule of substitution applies.
- Please note that the Met rooftop is closed during the winter from November through April and reopens from early May through the end of October, weather permitting.
- Cancellation Policy: A full refund will be given on cancellations made more than 72 hours prior to tour commencement. Cancellations received within 72 hours prior to the tour are non-refundable. We will, however, do our best to reschedule you for another tour. Please note, this is subject to availability and price changes.