Rangitoto Volcanic Explorer Tour
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Combine your ferry trip to Rangitoto Island with a guided tour of the island on a 4WD road-train. Journey through the largest Pohutukawa forest in the world, a treasured fern glen and rugged lava terrain as you make your way to the base of the summit of Rangitoto
Our guide to Rangitoto Volcanic Explorer Tour
Enjoy a scenic 25 minute cruise across Waitemata Harbour to Rangitoto Island, a volcanic island which sits majestically off the Auckland coast.
A 40 minute cruise takes you across the Hauraki Gulf to Matiatia Wharf on Waiheke Island.
On arrival at Matiatia Wharf, board a modern coach and hop on and off as much as you like at any of the tour's 15 convenient stops.
Or if you prefer, stay on board and enjoy a 1.5hr scenic tour of the island.
Accompanying your local driver, a friendly host will deliver engaging commentary about the island's history and culture, plus share insider tips to help plan your day.
There are so many ways to customize the Hop-on Hop-off tour to your liking.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Rangitoto Volcanic Explorer Tour
- Present your voucher at ticket offices located at Pier 1 or Pier 2 and be exchanged for tickets no later than 30 minutes prior to sailing.
- The 4WD road train has dropdown clear curtains to protect passengers if it rains.
- Rough or bad weather may cancel cruises.
- No shops are located on the island so passengers must take food and drink with them or food and beverages can be purchased onboard the vessel.
- The walk to the summit includes boardwalk stairs. The walk is optional and some passengers may choose to stay and enjoy the view from the base of the summit.
- Rangitoto Island is a pest-free sanctuary for native birds and plants. There are no rubbish bins on pest-free islands. If you bring food, please remember to take it off the island with you.
- No refund if the booking is cancelled 48 hours or less prior to travel or in the event of a no show.
- Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled prior to your holiday departure date. No refunds are given for cancellations made post departure.
Frequently Asked Questions for Rangitoto Volcanic Explorer Tour
- What should I wear?
Although there's not a great deal of walking, it's a good idea to bring water, a snack/lunch, sun screen and a hat, as the island can get very hot. A comfortable pair of shoes are recommended.
- Do I have to walk to the summit on Rangitoto Island?
The walk is optional and some passengers may choose to stay and enjoy the view from the base of the summit.